Sunday, March 11, 2012

Regression....





I just finished Spring Break and I am having a major anxiety attack thinking about how much money I spent that was not in my budget.  It seems that no matter how much I try there are things that pop up and surprise me by costing more than I anticipate.  My sister came to visit this week and we indulged in a few fun activities that were definitely not in my budget!

We went to Sea World for two days and even though we split the room and I get a free pass for being a teacher I still spent too much money.  However, something that I am learning to do is to NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT SPENDING MONEY!  So, since I have been budgeting (and I had set some money aside for extra stuff this week) I refused to let myself fall into the "I am a failure" cycle of doom.  I will adjust my budget accordingly and do without for the next few weeks. I now know that when people come to visit or I have extended time off I need to set aside a bit of extra money to participate in the fun stuff in life.  Sitting home during my breaks only leads to depression - which leads to self-pity - which will lead to giving up (My husband chimes in: "Which leads to the Dark Side, Luke!").  So, my husband has graciously taught me to not be so hard on myself, to enjoy my family and friends, and to realize that there are so many other things going on in the world that beating myself up over buying a new pair of shoes or a lipstick should not be taking up so much of my energy.

This spring break I spent time with my sister, fed the dolphins at Sea World, had my hair done, and most of all...I relaxed...and for a short time forgot about work.  I am not sure if I can ever be without buyer's remorse in my life, but I am sure going to try.

Any suggestions of how to not have buyer's remorse, or how to just plain enjoy what I am lucky enough to have, I would love to read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment